Saturday, October 16, 2004

What do people think ...

if they have never been on a board? I recently spent time with my brother and his friends. While I have been on boards or committees it seems all my life, they have not. We did not talk in depth but there was no concept of how a board is constituted and what its powers might be; these are smart guys but they lacked any exposure to the world of non-profit boards.

There would be little for me to talk about to them regarding what I do for organizations. I help organizations evaluate the relationship between the board and the executive and help establish the power and authority criteria that makes it work harmoniously and effectively for them. Much of what gets done in America by volunteers is ultimately guided and decided by volunteer boards of directors.

I intend for this blog to help me flesh out my thinking on the subject of governance and, in the process, hopefully, help readers think through their own thoughts on the matter.
dc www.danclark.com

No comments: